POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bounding Question : Re: Bounding Question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:10:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bounding Question
From: David Heys
Date: 12 Aug 1999 15:11:04
Message: <37B31BFA.BD5BCC33@hotmail.com>
Ken wrote:

>   I would say for me there is some black art involved with this process and
> have been hoping someone more informed than myself would step in and elaborate
> on how pov really handles the bounding action. Perhaps it is beyond the mear
> mortal to understand :)

Being a great deal less of a POV expert than Ken, I have to agree with him.
Bounding objects have always confuzzled me. If you look at the following image
(11K):

http://www.sinbad.net/~autumn/images/bounding_test.jpg

Which is more efficient? Assuming the red boxes are the bounding shapes, one can
see that the left hand item only uses one bounding shape which would make you
think that it'd render faster. However, it's also not as exact in it's bounding
limits as the group of bounding items on the right. From the conversations I've
seen regarding this topic, I'm guessing there's no concrete answer to the
question. That each instance is unique and that we have to find the right balance
between the number of bounding objects, and the exactitude of those bounding
objects. :{P

David